Home || Sitemap || Contact Us Translated by Google
Skip Navigation LinksHome ->About District ->Phagwara

Phagwara was built by Shah Jahan as a market town, Nakodar TombOver time, some people of Phagwara started farming and Phagwara took on a rural character. Phagwara Sharki covers the original rural Phagwara, which now is only covered by the area surrounding Sukhchainiana Gurdwara (Sukhchain Nagar) where some people continue to farm the land.In 1772 it became Part of the Ahluwalia Sikh Dynasty of Kapurthala. The Sixth Sikh Guru, Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji visited this place in 1635 after winning the battle of Kartarpur and Palahi. Phagu, a great devotee of Guru Ji used to reside here. When Phagu came to know that Guru Ji had come after fighting against Mughals and thought that Mughals might be following him, he was worried and did not serve Guru Ji. Guru Ji said," Phagu Da Warra, Bahron Mitha Andron Khara". Therefore, Phagwara got its name from "Phagu-Da-Warra". Narur is the famous and big village in Phagwara. Jama Masjid was built by then Maharaj Kapurthala. Its main door is facing towards east in Mohalla Atishbazan and other west side door is on Gaushala road..

Hadiabad is a historic sub-town in the city of Phagwara in Punjab (India), about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) west of Phagwara sub-town. It is the biggest area in size on the western part of the city. Many Sikh followers worship at the gurdwara Chhevin Patshahl.

Emperor Jehangir gifted this land to a pir as hadiya, hence the name.Diddi family lives in Mohalla Diddian. Who was this pir? It is mentioned in Jehangir's autobiography.